Setting Up My Synology DS 920+

Some background:

I have loads of data, I have photos, music, data from work etc, so I decided, having a NAS (network access storage) will be useful.

There will be data stores, a Time Machine for my Mac, and I will also let my wife use it.













With a help of a buddy who kindly dropped by, I got my Synology set up today..

Initially there was a bit of a scare as I couldn't find my HDDs haha

He also suggested to avoid using all the HDD from the same batch, just in case there are manufacturing errors.

So I am doing a 8+8+8 and later on as 12 TB in a four bay Synology DS920+, all Red Plus

There are no screws needed, you unpacked the HDDs, there's a latch for each bay, you remove the sides, slot in the HDD, then place the plastic sides back. It only goes in one way, so you can't really make a mistake. Which bays get used first is fine.

The initial steps were intuitive enough, you go to the "Find Synology" link, which quickly finds the 920+, and that's the easy part.

However, the configuration is much more complicated, and you need to set up and admin account, your user accounts, set privileges, and then fix the DNS. 

After that you create folders, and configure one for the Time Machine.

So my buddy suggested the following folders for me:
- Music

- Photos

-work/ research

-Spouse

-Time Machine

-Videos


You can also use your own style, but this covers most of it


Another thing, he doesn't suggest you use the link to Goggle, so if Goggle doesn't support the Synology account, you are in trouble.

I've kept the NAS in my storeroom, where my switch, router and main distribution board is. It's cool and there is ventilation, but you can also monitor the temperature. 

It's on a low shelf, with plenty of space around it. 

Another few days before the backup is complete... 

I found this video to be really useful too:



** I have no financial interest or other interests in any of the items / events I write about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KEF LS 50 Meta review and comparison with the LS50

Dynaudio Heritage Special Speaker Review

Setting Up A Mesh Network In Your Home - tips and links